Monday, September 5, 2011

Psychedelic Band Names and Passive Creativity

“And it was right in the middle of that whole psychedelia. Chocolate Subway, Marshmallow Overcoat. Those kind of names, you know?” – Richard Manuel in The Last Waltz

Although the two band names that Manuel lists in Scorsese’s famous film are – to my knowledge – fictional, he correctly identifies a late-60’s penchant for band names involving seemingly random strings of adjectives and nouns. Chocolate Subway may not be real, but it’s not far off from Strawberry Alarm Clock. And although Marshmallow Overcoat may be an off the cuff improvisation, The Electric Prunes certainly existed. Not to mention Silver Apples and The Peanut Butter Conspiracy.
image via auctiva.com
 At the time, I imagine these bands chose these particular names thinking it would set them apart from the great, bubbling mass of experimental pop/rock outfits. Ironically, it helped them fit right in.

That doesn’t mean that the names are bad though. In fact, they’re all super funny and awesome. So much so, that, in a fit wild passion, I decided to devise a few band names myself. However, I quickly realized this was no fun, as it took all the surprise and eccentricity out of the names. So instead, I engaged in my first act of passive creativity. I expelled a few dozen adjectives and nouns onto blank page, cut the page up, and began drawing at random. Here’s what I came up with…

Plasticine Armadillo
Ordinary Tobacco God
The Public Coral Bath
The Porcelain Ninnies
White Rain Dream
Absolute Statue
The Ketchup Innuendo
Steam-Powered Time
Beer Porridge
The Private Coffee Table
The Terrible Letter R
Freedom’s Trenchcoat
Tempest Tub

I also ended up with a few that sounded vaguely heavy metal…

Goliath Bullet Jr.
Fist of Ashes
Fighting Guitar Storm
Doug’s Iron Air

No comments:

Post a Comment