Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Here, There and Everywhere - My Life with the Beatles: The Conclusion

That first experience with The White Album marked the moment when the Beatles became an inescapable fixture in my life.  The following year, grade five, I did a biography project on John Lennon.  And I quote (my 10 year old self)…
“John Lennon created the Beatles with Paul, Ringo and George, they made great music together. He was a person that cared for other people and expressed himself by making different political statements.  His songs will live forever in all our hearts and minds.”

Cute right?

Wrong! That project was the earliest manifestation of a dark obsession that would haunt my musical world for the years to come.  From that point onward it was the Beatles.  The band monopolized my listening.  It was a Beatles dictatorship.  I couldn’t get away.  It was Beatles, Beatles, Beatles here, there, and everywhere.

My fascination lasted from the final years of elementary school clear through the strange adolescent days of junior high and on into high school.  It was a magical and sinister period.

Finally, however, the day came when I was prepared to stop worshipping at the alter of Lennon.  New prophets had made themselves apparent and I was more than happy to follow them into the wilderness.  So I threw my proverbial Jumanji board into the river and walked away……but I didn’t get very far. 

Here are some photos from my trip to Europe this summer…


So I had a relapse. Whatever.  Maybe I’ll never kick the habit.

I’ll leave you with the closing lines to 10-year old Dylan’s project…

“The Beatles can not and will never be replaced by anybody.  Let’s just Give Peace a Chance and work together to a great and much better world.”

Smart kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment