Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Here, There and Everywhere – My Life with the Beatles: Part 1

It was the year 2000.  The future had finally arrived and unfathomable change was imminent…

Well, I was 9 years old and couldn’t have cared less.  My life revolved around 3 things: Hockey, Pokemon, and Jolly Ranchers.  I cared more about N64 than Y2K.

However, despite my childish ignorance, the magical transformative power of the new millennium found me just the same…

The change occurred on a rainy spring day out at the cabin.  I had been stuck inside all day and was bored out of my tiny 9-year old skull when my father, probably in a last ditch effort to amuse me, brought out his compact cassette collection.

Now these were the days when Destiny’s Child ruled the airwaves and All-Star by Smash Mouth was widely considered the greatest song ever recorded (well…at least I thought it was).  I knew good music.  Dad’s tunes could stay in the sixties.  This was the year 2000 after all.

But I’d humour him.  He pulled a tape out and put it in the cassette player.  This thing looked boring.  The cover was almost entirely white and it simply said “The Beatles” in black lettering along the top.



What the @!*#  did I ever see in Limp Bizkit?  By the time the second track, Dear Prudence, was finished I had already (whether I knew it at the time or not) altered my perception of music forever.  To quote the late Dennis Hopper, it had “enlarged my mind.” 

Yeah man, like, totally man...

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm doing things my way, my way or the highway.

    ReplyDelete