Friday, April 15, 2011

Effective Product Placement

Product placement in television, film, and music is a polarizing topic. For some, it’s an unwanted, uncalled for distraction that rips you out of the fiction and slams you back into reality. Somehow the appearance of a Coke can or a MacBook Pro feels cheap, as if the creators of the work would rather make money than maintain artistic integrity.

And maybe they would.

Now as I sit here sipping on an ice-cold Dr. Pepper, which really is a fine and tasty beverage, I can't help but think that sometimes product placement can be done right. This is where the integration of the product feels authentic, not overstated or false. I have a feeling that much of the time this is because it’s not a paid product placement at all, but simply a lucky brand being selected as the most fit for the purpose.

Whether or not the placement is paid for, a well-integrated product can be an extremely effective sales tool. In fact, I can say that product placement informs my own purchasing habits more so than most advertising through traditional mediums. Why? Because the product is being recommended by someone – whether they are fictional or real – who I respect, or trust, or maybe just find funny.

So, here are a few placements that actually inspired me to purchase the product…

Canadian Club in Mad Men
The Black and White Cookie in Seinfeld
Wuthering Heights in Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights (I wish I was joking)
Lou Reed’s Transformer in Adventureland
Pabst Blue Ribbon in Blue Velvet

(video contains offensive language)

2 comments:

  1. have you heard of Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold? It's Morgan Spurlock's newest movie- a documentary about product placement, paid for entirely by product placement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have. It's an interesting concept, but after 'Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?' I'm not sure how I feel about Spurlock. I'm sure I'll still watch it though...

    ReplyDelete