Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mark Zuckerberg = the fictional town of Twin Peaks, Washington

Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg reminds me of the small towns in David Lynch films (e.g. Twin Peaks/Lumberton, PA) - he appears nice enough at first, but upon closer inspection you find a dark, seedy underbelly. Real seedy.

=

See the resemblance!?

At least that’s how David Fincher’s latest film, The Social Network, portrays him. I’d like to be able to say that the co-creator of a website that I spend hundreds of mindless, face-melting hours on is a nice boy, but Fincher’s film simply doesn’t provide this image.
I can safely say that Zuckerberg, or at least the film’s version of Zuckerberg, is not the kind of guy I would have a couple of beers with. He is narcissistic, disloyal, dishonest, and a mega-dillweed (one who has few redeeming qualities and is generally off-putting).
Zuckerberg’s (strategically?) understated reaction to the film tells me that there may be some truth to The Social Network’s portrayal. According to The PR Post blog, Zuckerberg has suggested that the movie is fictitious and fun. This response is fine. It labels the movie as unimportant – something that the public should enjoy, but not take seriously.
My problem with the response: it lacks ultra-poisonous-venom. The film’s characterization of Zuckerberg is ultimately harsh. The only two personal relationships he has in the film – his ex-girlfriend Erica, and Eduardo – are destroyed through his own greed and selfishness. Was this the reality of the situation? Maybe. But if it’s not, Zuckerberg should be Viking-furious. His cold reaction when Eduardo confronts him about being cut out of the company, his late-night beer-fuelled blog (although I certainly have nothing against those) about his ex-girlfriend – these scenes are very critical of Zuckerberg. They make him seem heartless. So, why hasn’t Zuckerberg defended himself? I understand the advantages of keeping cool in the eye of the public, but these are strong accusations man! At least the film version of Zuckerberg has some balls.
However, even though the movie may hurt Zuckerberg, it won’t hurt the website. Too many people rely on the website (or are addicted to it) to stop using it just because its founder is an asshole. It’s like if a heroin junkie found out his or her dealer was really mean to his dog. It sucks, but it’s not going to stop them from buying the opiate.
Strange analogy.

7 comments:

  1. Your blog post is unoriginal - Mark Zuckerberg's dog already did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your take on Zuckerberg's character portrayal in the movie. I got something very different out of it so it was pretty cool to see the flip side of things!

    Keep up the great work and salmon colored shirts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those people who are addicted to Facebook. Maybe if I start hating Zuckerberg, it will cure my addiction...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read Dylan, particularly your drawing attention to the depiction of Zuckerberg as not worthy of friendship. If it is true, it is both sad and ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Facebook movie, but I love Twin Peaks even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In order: Probably, definitely, check comment on your blog/I can do at least one of those things, try rehab, thanks Richard - I probably should have noticed the irony and touched on it, agreed.

    ReplyDelete